Just a warning, winter is coming.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 246
Just a warning, winter is coming.

Just received (11:40 am) in the post a box with a second hand lens. (as a result of a minor G.A.S. attack).

It was well packed in a plastic bag and bubble wrap etc., so I opened it up carefully in the study at my desk, and had a look at what I had got.

1. First move, front and rear cap off and flick the aperture lever, great, seems fine. Diaphragm blades seem fine, no oil.
  2. Move the focus and zoom , seems nice.
  3. Look at front of lens WHAT, seems misty!! Fungus?? Oh no, a lemon!

Actually no.

I then realise the lens is pretty cold. It is 11:40 a.m. here, but it must have been in a cold van overnight as the fogging/condensation gets worse before the lens warms up and it disappears. We had the first noticeably cold night last night.

I I guess I moved room air in and out when I zoomed it so there will be condensation inside as well.  I have left it fully zoomed out for a while to let any condensation inside the lens dry off, and then will cycle it a bit to finish.

So next time (there is that other lens for sale coming up that....) I should just let it warm up before unpacking.

Winter is coming.

Warning:  A-Mount G.A.S. is a severe and debilitating condition that leads to damaged bank account and having to lie about prices to my spouse. Unfortunately it can never really be cured. Please support sufferers by donating all your lenses and camera bodies to me. (You know they are all obsolete and useless, especially those with G in the name.)  Thanks in advance.

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow