Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
quadrox Senior Member • Posts: 1,340
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

softmarmotte wrote:

Few people seem happy with what they have.

I am not sure that that is true, or that you can make the conclusion based on "normal" observations. Those that are satisfied are not likely to post about it, unless they are positively ecstatic. Those who are unhappy will complain, it's just human nature.

The large majority who is happy/satisfied, you will never hear from them. That doesn't mean that they don't exist.

We see comparisons everywhere

Of course, people want to make sure that they got what they paid for and/or didn't get a bad deal. Quite sensible IMO.

Comparing, sensors, lenses, weight, colours, IQ, sharpness, lastest... seems endemic

It would seem more strange to me for people to care about photography, but not care the least bit about image quality. I am not saying that image quality is the single most important criteria, but to suggest that it's not important and shouldn't be discussed...

What are we hoping to do/achieve by constantly comparing one thing with another ?

To find out what is better, obviously.

and yes, like everyone I fall into the trap (sometimes)

So, calling all psychologists, anthropologists...or maybe we'll just end up comapring psyches

I find it all quite natural. Obviously evolution has bred a species that cares about getting value for money, and obviously that is a sensible trait in a social species where getting cheated can be a big setback for an individual.

-- hide signature --

https://cornergraf.net/ - my photo gallery

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow