Need advice on lens for HS football games!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zendit_Outdoors Forum Member • Posts: 66
Need advice on lens for HS football games!

So, our youngest son has really turned out to be a great athlete and we’re SO proud of his accomplishments - starting offense, defense and special teams/returns as a sophmore! - that the wife has approved the purchase of a lens to photograph and video the games. Yay! For once I won’t get browbeaten for a photography purchase! Haha! We live in a tiny town that’s very poor and the other parents will be SO happy if I can take some great photos of the boys, for them. But, I need help picking a lens….

I currently have a A7Riv that I’m using for everything but I’m waiting (been 2 months already!) on a A7Siii. I’m really needing to stay under $2500 although I could go to $3k if I absolutely had to. Ideally, I’d like to find something closer to the $2k mark. After watching some YouTube videos on sports photography, it looks like a zoom lens with something like a 300mm-400mm lens would be my best bet. Problem is, the guy who made some of the football-specific tutorials stressed that you “really need a f2.8 lens” because of the low light; otherwise your iso will have to be too high. Unfortunately, those fast Sony lenses with that max focal length a WAY above my pay grade! Like $7k+. What I’m wondering if this guy’s advice is off? He’s a Nikon shooter and I was hoping that these 2 Sony A7 series cameras (particularly the A7Siii) with their lowlight performance capabilities would allow me to use the more affordably priced, albeit ‘slower,’ lenses? Something like the Sony FE 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens or even the Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS lens and still get some great images without a ton of noise?

I want to take some great photos of my boy and his teammates but I’m not taking these as a pro and I’m not trying to sell photos to SI. I’m not going to pixel peep THAT much. Given that qualification, can I get away with one of these lenses? OR, would I be better off picking up the 85mm GM (that I’ve been itching for!) and just try and shoot those plays where I can get pretty close to the action? FWIW - the longest focal length lens I currently have is the Sony 24-105mm f4 G OSS.

Sure would appreciate any advise you can share with me. 👊😁

Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow