What will you be shooting two years from now?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,532
Re: Minox full-frame camera for birding

David Lal wrote:

Antal I Kozma wrote:

Miniature format was anything smaller than 135, alas 35mm film. One example is the film for the famed Minox camera.

Yes, I use a Minox full-frame camera for birding sometimes:

Minox 35ML and a male blackbird

Regarding terminology, you might want to have a look at this link:

https://www.britannica.com/technology/technology-of-photography/The-35-mm-miniature-camera

Not that Minox, the "Spy Camera"........

As of terminology, I spent my life in professional photography, was teaching photography in college, and none ever called a camera with 135 film miniature. Seems like that britannica.com makes up its own terminology.

Old timers of my generation and from one before simply referred to the 24x36mm film as "Leica format". Leica made the format popular, hence the naming relationship. Later Kodak Christened it to the 135 format.

When we go back to the origins of film strips before the Leica time we find the origins in movie film strip. There is a lot to talk about that, how it was sliced up and re-perforated into still camera film. However, that is not the 24x36mm or 135 film we precisely associated with in our terminology.

There were a number of format variations from which "miniature format" or "subminiature format" is derived from. They were smaller in size in comparison with the Leica film. The most famous format is the Minox "spy film", it is a 9.2mm film strip without perforation.

Anyhow, there are different resources, Britannica.com is one of them. They decided that the 24x36mm "Leica" film is miniature. So it be, old photographers like I am disagree with them but the world is not going to stop over this subject.

All the best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow