RP battery charger, blink, blink, blink?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan W Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: RP battery charger, blink, blink, blink?

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Dan W wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

I have two dead Canon OEM batteries. I plugged in the charger, put one battery in, the charge light came on, then came back 2 hours later and the charge light was blinking. Took it out for 20-seconds, put it back in, and it glowed solid for a minute or two, then went back to blinking. Here is a photo of the battery contacts. Note, there isn't as stark a difference between dark and light areas in reality. When you slightly turn the battery, the dark areas are gold and the gold areas are dark, sort of like a hologram. However, the contacts are obviously worn.

I took the second dead battery and put it on the charger, where it is right now with the charge light glowing steady. I will give it a few hours to see if it glows "full."

Anybody else have issues with their batteries charging (or, not charging) and the blinking light? This indicates an error, so I have read, but I am not sure how to resolve it. I did clean the contacts on the first battery, but I don't know yet if that makes a difference. Thanks for all advice.

Batteries fail, thats what they do... Lithium batteries don't like going below 20% or being stored at 100% for any length of time. If they go completely flat, they may not be able to be brought back to life. And sometimes they just die for no apparent reason.

I bought a "decoded" replacement, supposedly OEM compliant off amazon for $40 that can be charged with the OEM charger. See how it goes.

I've used aftermarket batteries and they can do well. I like the sterling brand, they claim to use Japanese cells vs from China. But Canon OEM batteries are made in China lol. So who knows. On the LP-E6 type batteries like I use don't seem to last as long as the OEM batteries but I don't have a way to test the energy density of the batteries of this type. But the sterlings are like 20% of the price of OEM soooo... Yea, try some out and because they are usually a lot cheaper, buy a few extra just incase you have a failure unexpectedly. I always carry at least 4 spares at all time, one because mirrorless eats batteries compared to DSLR's and second I had a battery fail when all I took to a shoot was my camera, no bag, no batteries.. That was years ago, learned my lesson...

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow