Baryta budget alternative

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,591
Re: Baryta budget alternative

If you want a good paper at low cost, I recommend Red River UltraPro Satin.  It is a microporous coated, semi-gloss paper with a fine/medium texture.  You will give up to characteristics to use this low cost paper.  First it is not a rag paper.  Personally I don't care but some people just like the "feel" of a rag paper substrate.  I don't care about "feel" just looks.  Second it is not archival.  It will not last for hundreds of years without yellowing.  Even so it will last on display for decades especially behind glazing.  I recommend you do some experimentation and I believe you will find that prints on different coated, semi-gloss papers will be almost identical.  If you are determined to use OBA free, archival papers, you can also consider Red River Palo Duro Satin which is still reasonably priced.

Years ago I choose Red River baryta paper as my  "best" paper.  Unfortunately all suppliers of baryta paper have encountered quality issues with the raw materials.  I am not interested in going through that again since the issues were substantial and included black flecks in the baryta coatings.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow