New Macbook pro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,340
Re: New Macbook pro

dmanthree wrote:

There are going to be a lot of bargains hitting the market, Intel based, shortly after the M1x Macbook Pros come out.

There are advantages in buying an Intel based Mac!

For instance, when I want to do development I can either (a) wait well over 24 hours for Xcode and the developer command line tools to install, or (b) buy VMware Fusion or Parallels, install Linux Ubuntu in under an hour, and develop on the x86-64 Linux VM - no way on M1.

You can also run Windows in an Intel Mac VM. There's nothing in Windows that I need, but many folks feel differently.

Parallels says their software will run Windows on the M1. If it can do that, can't it also run Ubuntu? VMWare says Fusion will run "nearly any OS" on their product, and say it's compatible with the M1 chip.

I believe the problem is finding a version of Windows for M1. As far as I can tell from reading Parallels information, it requires the ARM version of Windows, which is only available on the Microsoft Insider channel.

Absolutely, there are many ARM versions of Linux. Ubuntu 20.04 would be my choice. Maybe I should do it and stop complaining about Xcode.

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-m1/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow