ChrisLumix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,370
Re: choosing next external storage drive

Phillip Forsten wrote:

ChrisLumix wrote:

Phillip Forsten wrote:

ChrisLumix wrote:

Phillip Forsten wrote:

ChrisLumix wrote:

SDD is not more reliable but is much faster as it has no moving parts.

It is more reliable. No moving parts is the reason.

No. It *IS* more reliable if you only look at the reasons that hard drives fail.

What the heck? What other reasons should I look at?

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/3-common-causes-solid-state-drive-failures/

However, SSDs have reliability issues of their own,

That is not what I was addressing.

Eh? I refer you to your own remark, viz : "It is more reliable. No moving parts is the reason". So how is that "not what you were addressing"?.

I was simply comparing both for which one is most reliable. I never said or suggested that SSD itself didn’t "issues if their own." A man is stronger than a woman, but that doesn’t mean a man can’t strain a muscle or break a leg.

Read more carefully.

and those can cause sudden failure without the gradual warning signs you generally get with a HDD.

That is also not what I was addressing. Besides, most people will not notice any signs.

I've had half a dozen external hard drives, and 5 Macs with internal hard drives. Of those one internal hard drive failed gradually and gave me NOTICEABLE Smart warnings over 12 months, during which time I could still use it but was prepared for failure at any time so took regular clone backups. I've had 2 Macs with SSDs, one with two in - of which the main 1TB SSD failed WITHOUT WARNING. So to claim people "will not notice any signs" just isn't true.

I never claimed such a thing. I said "most people will not notice any signs." Read more carefully.

Write more carefully, then you won't be misunderstood .

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow