UW DX zoom recommendation needed

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP m1964 Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Re: UW DX zoom recommendation needed

rich_cx139 wrote:

I have the Tamron 10-24 HLD and chose it over the Tokinas and Sigmas because of user reviews.

It also has had good reviews by Chris Frost and Dustin Abbott albeit in Canon mount.

Its used for landscapes and I suggest that for castle and building interiors it might be worth your while estimating typical light values ( you can get these from google ), work out what iso you find tolerable, depth of field etc to see how bright a lens you need. I wonder if a 3.5-4.5 will be bright enough if you have any movement in frame. BUT the stabilisation is good so for static subjects handheld it should be fine.

The 35/1.8 is a great lens but maybe not wide enough for interiors.

It the 2.8 tokinas, I liked the look of the 11-16 more but the range is limited and no stabilisation.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying to my post- I like the range of the Tamron, esp. comparing to Tokina 14-20mm.

I have two Tamron prime lenses (FF) and like the images they produce.

I am not sure, however, if buying any DSLR lens and esp. DX lens is the best way to spend the money (which do not grow on a tree in our backyard), due to the proliferation of the ML systems.

Maybe as a second hand, even though I did not have good experience with only one lens I bought used off eBay.

In any case, I need to process the pictures I made in Lisbon and check the parameters, just l ike you said.

Depending on those, I should be able to decide if I really need a f/2.8 zoom.

thanks again

m1964's gear list:m1964's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow