New kid on a block

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nameless0ne
nameless0ne Regular Member • Posts: 403
New kid on a block

My first ever digital reflex camera was Nikon D70s with 18-70 3.5-4.5 zoom lens. Next I got Nikon AF 24 2.8D and used that kit for quit a long. After that I had numerous Nikon cameras and lenses. To name some: D200, D90, D700, D600, D7100 and AF-S 24-70, 16-35, 70-200 2.8, 80-200, 35-70 2.8, 20-35, AF-S 50 1.4, AI-S 55 1.2, AF-S 85 1.8 and many many many more which I probably can not remember. That how my travel bag looked 10 years ago:

I was doing landscape and wedding photography and really loved Nikon for it's colours, robust auto-focus and great ergonomics. Here are some old pictures from my Nikon cameras:

Than about year 2014 I moved to new country and was very busy with that and quit photography. Sold all my Nikon gear and thought I am done.

But... a new story starts when previous ends -- in a year 2018 I bought Fujifilm GFX 50r and still using it till current date and enjoying photography again! Really love GFX and GF lenses. Also later I bought Fuji XH1 to have smaller and lighter kit for hiking and go around. And than about a year ago I thought I want to try Canon and got Canon EOS R with EF 24-70 2.8 and some other EF lenses, but, somehow, had no love to it and always wanted to sell -- mainly cause while Canon has a great colours and there professional grade lenses are very good (like 50 1.2, 85 1.2 or 24-70), there "consumer" level products are really not nice and there 1.8 lenses are simply bad. While I already have ultimate system with GFX I really was not keen to idea to purchase everything 2nd time, but now for Canon mount, investing thousands into RF and again ending up with gear that as big and heavy as GFX.

So I thought about what I need and what -- I need ultimate kit for landscapes and studio. That is Fuji GFX for me. Also I need something small and light for hiking and family pictures -- that what Fuji X was for me. But than... I really was not happy with autofocus on XH1 -- not specifically for speed, but also for accuracy, so for family pictures I used instead Canon a lot and XH1 started to gather dust. And having 3 systems... I really though that's not optimal and expensive. So yesterday I sold Canon EOS R , Canon lenses, Fujifilm X-H1 and all fuji X lenses, except 35 1.4. And went today and bought back a Nikon camera -- Z5 with 24-70 4.0, 14-30, 35 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8! So now I am back to Nikon, where it all started!

Why Z5, not Z6/Z7? Reason is simple -- I think it's a good enough for my use case as second camera. I don't need extra resolution -- for that I have GFX. I don't need extra speed. It's well made, light and compact so will be great for hiking. If I will ever break it that will not be a tragedy cause it's so cheap. Also I thought better to have cheaper body and more lenses than better body and less lenses. It's good enoght -- not always it should be "fasterm bigger, better". Also this all was completely covered by my Canon/Fuji X sale so I have not paid a cent + got ~800 Euro on top, which I plan to spent on lightning.

So now my battery is charging and I am looking forward to try my new shiny Nikon Z5 and Z system )

nameless0ne's gear list:nameless0ne's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Nikon Z5 Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow