KP and DA 15 - flowing water stacked image

Started 3 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,177
KP and DA 15 - flowing water stacked image

Wanted to try out some more photoshop blending on flowing water - like I had done earlier this year.  The basic idea is to shoot a quick sequence of images and use a photoshop stack/smart object and the mean blend stacking in Photoshop to simulate long exposure - especially for things like flowing water, or I first saw it used for moving clouds...

For this I used the KP and DA 15 (because despite its field curvature and other reasons not to use it for landscapes, I somehow have always liked using it for work where there is no horizon in view).

Here is the stack of 7 images as a composite.

And here is a single image from just after this sequence

I think the method works pretty well for rendering movement and flow, now naturally being a stack, you get significant unwanted motion blur in the leaves in the stacked image due the breeze present at time of shooting.  But with careful composition, can really mimic the kind of longer exposure you might obtain with a high ND filter and time - without needing filters.

Pointless stuff? maybe, but it was a fun day out with my Pentax gear.

For comparison, here is a stack with my Canon R6 and Sigma 24 1.4 art - not much difference in detail or resolution between the two systems for an application like this... FF and expensive big prime lens versus APS-C and pancake prime...

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS R6 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow