NYC Moonrise (9/19/21) and Qs about IQ and Shutter Shock

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,095
Re: NYC Moonrise (9/19/21) and Qs about IQ and Shutter Shock

S. Miller wrote:

You don't see it with these files but for each sequence I took, I did a five frame bracket to give myself the best chance of getting the perfect exposure (either from a single frame or combining in PS). The first shot of each sequence was steady but all other shots in the sequence had what appeared to be massive shutter shock. I (naively?) never expected this as I was shooting with a very sturdy tripod setup and used the Leica photos app to trigger the shutter.

2nd question: Is shutter shock in this setup normal? The shutter speed was either 1/100 or 1/200. It really bummed me out as the moon alignment won't repeat like this over midtown for quite a while.

Stunning images! It was a great idea to shoot from a long way off!

SL2-S has electronic shutter, which will not produce shutter shock. Have you tried it?

Also, if you were using a really steady tripod shouldn't Image Stabilization or Optical Stabilization be turned off (in lens and in camera) ? I have heard that this is worth doing. It won't necessarily solve a shutter shock problem though.

But electronic shutter should, with the shot triggered via a 2 second or 10 second timer.

PS Yesterday I discovered that my Sigma fp L will do the entire 5-shot exposure bracket if I enable the timer, but if I don't do that I have to manually click the shutter for each of the 5 exposures in the bracket. Not sure this matters in your SL2-S though.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
"Beware of taking advice from anonymous wise men." Quote from Anon.

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow