Feature update “deadline” for 20H2 Pro to 21H1?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,740
Re: Feature update “deadline” for 20H2 Pro to 21H1?

Billiam29 wrote:

Can anyone kindly remind me of what Microsoft’s current policy would be as to when my 20H2 Pro machine will be “forced” to upgrade to 21H1? I’ve lost track on where things currently stand with this and my search results keep bringing up info that I believe may no longer be accurate for 20H2-to-21H1.

My gut is telling me that you’re now only forced to install feature updates when the version of Win 10 you’re currently running actually reaches EOL and stops being supported. Is that correct?

As far as I know, yes.

I’ve had the option for manually invoking the 21H1 install sitting in Windows Update for some time. Out of habit though, I’ve been waiting for the “OK, we’re doing this now” prompt like you used to get when you enabled deferring feature updates for a specific number of days. Upon checking what I had that set to, I was reminded that particular setting seems to no longer exist. Hence my question.

Overall, I have no real concerns about 21H1. I’m just wondering if the situation is now essentially “Pull the trigger yourself or wait for EOL.”

I generally take feature updates as soon as they're available, but I don't think there's any requirement to do that. See this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

So I'd say you can do as you please without a problem.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow