Do most 35mm film developers in the UK still return negatives?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RJDG14 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Do most 35mm film developers in the UK still return negatives?

I'm amazed how low the resolution of a store scan still tends to be in 2021 - typically it will be no higher than 2MP maximum, when film is capable of significantly higher resolutions. The image will sometimes also be overexposed or underexposed, and will almost always be in a JPEG format which is difficult to modify without getting lossy artifacts. I've been able to get better looking results with my DSLR. If I were not to get the negatives returned, I'd want a RAW scan of the negative that was at least 10MP, which is certainly possible with modern equipment, not a poor quality 2MP JPEG file.

How much more effort would it take for a processor to return the negatives than return the prints without? I doubt it would cost anything more postage-wise and feels more like this decision is based on the false notion that people don't "want" their negatives anymore, even though they're essential to anybody who is still shooting on film.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow