lens question for new photographer travelling with a T6i

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary_p Junior Member • Posts: 37
lens question for new photographer travelling with a T6i

I'm looking for some recommendations for a less expensive landscape/low light lens to fit a T6i.

My son will be going on a post high school gap year six week trip to Hawaii. He opted for a DSLR instead of a more compact travel camera. He is a new photographer. I was able to pick up a used T6i along with a Tamron 18-270 lens. He also has the Canon 18-55 kit lens which I think is redundant to take. The Tamron is nice but the aperture is 3.5-6.3. He'd like to do some sunset shooting and landscapes. I've also been told that where they will be gets very dark by 6-7pm. So, I'd like to find a preferably used lens that would help in those conditions. Maybe something in the 12-35 or 5omm range with an aperture lower than 3.5. They will be travelling light so a full size tripod is not viable. I have a smaller tabletop tripod that can also be strapped to something like a tree or pole to assist.

I've been using a small micro 4/3 travel camera for years and haven't been keeping up with the full size DSLR options.

Time is getting short...he leaves in two weeks. So, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

gary_p's gear list:gary_p's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel T6i (EOS 750D / Kiss X8i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow