An afternoon walk - the sequel

Started 3 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bergfalke 4
bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 158
An afternoon walk - the sequel

After Friday afternoons success, my partner wanted to go and see the birds. So we packed a picnic lunch and went to Cobbler Creek Reserve. We took a different track this time - one that I don't normally use - but it paid dividends.

We spotted a dead tree that had numerous likely hollows, so we ventured off piste to have a look.

1. A nesting pair of Red Rumped Parrots. Male top left, female in the hollow. This dead tree was full of hollows and every one seemed to be occupied. There is probably a shortage of suitable nest sites.

2. Nesting female Red Rumped Parrots. I have never used a flash in my bird photos. I am now considering it when I go back to this spot.

3. Male Red Rumped Parrot. These birds are normally really hard to get close to. This one kept landing on the same branch very close to us. This is effectively full frame at 700mm on a cropped sensor body. You can never get this close.

The male Red Rumped Parrot kept landing very close to us on the same branch. Something was up, it is normally impossible to get that close to them. I took a wide detour to the other side and sure enough there was a hollow in the branch in the other side. He couldn't afford to leave it unattended less a interloper take up residence.

4. The male at the entrance to the hollow.

5. His lady arrives.

6. She checks out the hollow. She didn't seem that impressed really.

7. The male is nearby and scratches an itch.

8. The Red Rump on display

For the encore, I showed Justine the site where I scored the Pardalote pics previously. Almost on cue.....

9. Same tree, probably the same bird, different branch. Striated Pardalote.

10. Checking to see who is around.

11. And a quick song before flying off.

enjoy

Anthony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bergfalke4/

bergfalke 4's gear list:bergfalke 4's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow