Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pocus Regular Member • Posts: 108
Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

I am checking for the first time video snapshot option and Hybrid Auto digest movies of 3 Canon cameras: G5X mark II, M50 and M6 mark II. I am not clear about their practical purpose. This is what I found out.

Video snapshots are shot in video mode by pressing the (red) record button. HAD (digest movies) are shot in Hybrid Auto on the mode dial. Both of them produce video clips.

HAD movies record a video clip AND save a photo. The video clip is appended to the video file for this day. If you change the folder the stills go to the new folder, while the associated video clip stays in the same folder.

On the other hand video snapshot movies do not save a photo BUT ask for the album file - last used or a new one. The video snapshot goes in the current folder.

On a computer the file names of the albums are the same as all other video files and are difficult to distinguish visually. Only the camera knows the difference and shows which is which.

I guess HAD movies are made to be used by tourists to record a voice message about an object or a place. For example you arrive at a site turn the dial to Hybrid Auto, say a few words ('This is the Eiffel Tower'), then turn the dial to PASM or Auto and start taking photos.

But I'm not clear about the purpose of Video Snapshots because you can record your voice message without having to interrupt your main video, select the snapshot option, record your voice, and then continue taking the video. Moreover video snapshots are only possible at FHD 25.00P in PAL mode.

The video files created from Digest movies and Video snapshots are both FHD 1920/1080 (in M50 resolution is 1280/720) at 25 frames/second (PAL); the codec is the same H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10).

But the file sizes of HAD movies and the snapshots are different. On M6 mark II the Snapshots produced files about 4MB / second, while the digest movies produced a file of more than 12MB / second.

Do you use Video snapshots or Digest movies? In what situation have you used them? Are my conclusions above correct? Given that everything is the same then why snapshots makes 3 times smaller clips than digest movies?

pocus's gear list:pocus's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow