New R5 Owners: Is your 5DMk4 Now Collecting Dust?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chesapeake Imagery
Chesapeake Imagery Regular Member • Posts: 413
New R5 Owners: Is your 5DMk4 Now Collecting Dust?

I have a pair of 5DMk4 bodies that I have used and enjoyed. I did jump on the mirrorless bandwagon first with the RP (was ok, but not much good for fast-moving wildlife) and now an R5. Since I got the R5, I have barely touched my 5DMk4 bodies; in fact, one I have semi-permanently deployed as a Zoom video meeting cam. I pulled out the other one today for wildlife and BIF, and quite frankly I felt like I was using one of those cardboard disposable wedding cameras. Now don't get me wrong; I loved my 5DMk4 bodies. If I was doing tabletop product work, or certain other genres that don't involve movement, the 5DMk4 body is quite adequate. For birds in flight, however, the R5 blows it out of the water. My keeper rate I would say went from maybe 40-50% tops to more like 80-90% once the animal eye-tracking locks on. I continually marvel at the shots I get in focus that would never have happened with the 5DMk4. I guess I might look into selling them, but I suspect at pennies on the dollar it's probably not worth it at this point. Also, I can switch back and forth, but it is a little disconcerting trying to remember to look at the light meter because the OVF is not displaying the WYSIWYG exposure. If you are coming from the 5DMk4 going to an R5, have you abandoned your trusty 5DMk4? Are you considering selling?

Chesapeake Imagery's gear list:Chesapeake Imagery's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow