Old Camedia cameras - OLYMPUS Software and conectivity to Win7 or higher

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
0lyboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Old Camedia cameras - OLYMPUS Software and conectivity to Win7 or higher

By this message, I wish to offer some clarifications relative to OLYMPUS Software capabilities.

In to this example I will use two classic and of high popularity old Camedia cameras.

a) C2100UZ (supported connectivity options to PC due a cable) USB and or Serial connection.

b) E100-RS (supported connectivity options to PC due a cable) USB only.

After of 18 years of me using card readers, I thought to test and see, if I can succeed an USB connection of my camera with the more modern Win7 Pro 64bit operating system.

My findings are three.

a) OLYMPUS this was terrible at cooperating with Microsoft, there is no OLYMPUS camera products drivers included at the operating system for 64bit of windows.

b) Camedia master 4.1 software, this is capable to scan for a connected camera due cable at USB, and if nothing found then it proposes to scan at Serial Communication port too.

c) Olympus master 2.1 software (newer than Camedia), this is missing the option to scan at serial port.

Testing results

I did succeed connecting my C2100 with serial connection (special cable was included at the pack of accessories) with Win7 Pro 64bit, file transfer speed this is limited to approximately 100kb per 10 seconds, an single 420kb image this required 45 seconds to be transferred.

E100-RS this supporting solely USB connectivity, and therefore neither Camedia master with this double scan feature, this is not able to help.

The purpose of the entire experiment, was of me to discover if Olympus Master 2.1 this has any undocumented features that old Camedia series of cameras, they can benefit from it?

The broken USB support of these cameras with the 64 bit of operating systems, this alone it is the deal breaker.

C2100UZ this were supported about PC connectivity , with an old 32bit TWAIN generic driver. This is now unusable from 64bit operating systems.

If there is some other driver software solution that you are aware of it?

Then please in-light me.

0lyboy's gear list:0lyboy's gear list
Olympus D-520 Zoom Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-100 RS +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow