Keep my ornery Olympus OM-D M5-II or revert to Sony? (or other affordable versatile option)

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
salukikev New Member • Posts: 13
Keep my ornery Olympus OM-D M5-II or revert to Sony? (or other affordable versatile option)

While I'm far from a professional photographer, my old Sony RX10-III really made me look like I know what I'm doing. All the modes seemed to easily adjust and understand my intent and then cooperate- my OM-D experience has been the opposite so far. The most frustrating part is the frequency with which is just refuses to shoot. Maybe it's just inexperience or maybe I got too comfortable with the Sony interface.

One particularly frustrating issue is that while learning the Sony it would let me take bad pictures- out of focus, or overexposed or whatever but it never just refused to click off a photo. The OM-D does that often- even when the photo seems like it should be ok.

My typical use scenario is in product design and general adventure camera, so compact, weatherproof and versatility are primary motivations for steering that way- I also do a lot of long exposure shots which would come out great on the Sony but so far pretty poorly on the OM-D, and I also have to wait a really long time for processing each shot, and some features I've never succeeded with. The advertised advanced image stabilization hasn't seemed to help low light shots that almost always come out blurry with the slightest of movement. I'd like to do some stair trails and that sort of thing also but again no luck.

This weekend, we had an accident and I broke the stock 14-42mm lens, so now I'm at a turning point where I either need to buy a new lens or a new camera. Not sure if I want to throw good money after bad, but I'd like to hear from someone who really knows how to use this model effectively. I guess that's the real question here is I'm trying to determine if its the camera or me. hahaha.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow