Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,086
Re: Who Uses a Sling Bag?

Starny wrote:

BBbuilder467 wrote:

Starny wrote:

BBbuilder467 wrote:

I've hiked thousands of miles with a fully loaded Lowepro Slingshot 102AW. It carries a lot like a backpack with a belt and compression strap to control the position. It's effortless to work out of when you swing it around.

If I didn't need to carry hiking essentials in rough terrain, I'd prefer it over the Fastpack I replaced it with.

Thank you for this.

A couple hours ago I was looking at this very bag on the Bay.

This bag slings over just one shoulder, correct?

If you don't use the waist/compression strap does the bag tend to slide forward?

Btw, what does the "AW" stand for. I see some bags listed with "AW" at the end while other not.

It's hard to explain. It has a heavy cross-body strap that snaps in place and you don't need the belt or compression strap to just walk around. When you snug up the belt and strap, you can almost forget that it's not a backpack. It stays right where you put it. It never bothered me to carry it all day with that strap as long as I didn't overload it.

The AW model has a rain sleeve built in.

It does seem strange and looks odd, but go 50 feet and it practically disappears.

Thank you for the reply.

I've seen some reviews where people think it might be too small. But I'm wondering if it might be too big for my purposes.

They come in two or three sizes. I have a 200AW and it is perfect for a couple of bodies with attached lenses plus a couple of extra lenses and accessories. Decent storage for day-to-day items too (but it is hard to carry a drink bottle beyond 500 ml in size.

I have a lot of backpacks, but this is the only bag I use regularly. Having easy access to the camera gear, and also the other things in the other compartments, is brilliant. It distributes the weight well and doesn't move around when walking (or, I imagine, riding).

I know there is one larger than mine, which I decided was too big.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow