An afternoon walk

Started 3 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bergfalke 4
bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 156
An afternoon walk

I had a lengthy Zoom meeting scheduled for Friday evening, so I went for stroll through a local nature reserve (Cobbler Creek) to get more green time and less screen time.

It is early spring and almost all of the hollows in the trees have nesting couples. The pairs weren't straying far from their hollows and I guess there is a bit of a shortage of suitable sites leading to takeover attempts. Weather was broken cloud with a brisk cool wind.

1. Male Red Rumped Parrot. All puffed up in the sun, but the wind was still chill.

2. A pair of Musk Lorikeets. Their nesting hollow is in the tree trunk behind the fork in the branch in the bottom right.

3. Dusky Woodswallow. Quite a few of these deeper into the reserve. They would regularly swoop from the low branches onto insects. Didn't catch one in flight though.

4. The surprise for the afternoon. A Striated Pardalote on a dead branch spent some time repeatedly calling before zipping off.

5. Shot of the day. A Striated Pardalote on a dead branch spent some time repeatedly calling before zipping off. About this point I realised I was standing on an ant's nest and several ants had crawled up under my right trouser leg and started biting me on the calf.

6. No trip to Cobbler Creek is complete without at least one photo of a Splendid Fairy Wren. This male was in the shrubs close to the Parosa ruins.

7. Male Splendid Fairy Wren. In the shrubs close to the Parosa ruins.

Enjoy

Anthony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bergfalke4/

bergfalke 4's gear list:bergfalke 4's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow