The lowly SELP1650 does Lauenburg

Started 3 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,515
The lowly SELP1650 does Lauenburg

Indeed it is not the best lens Sony has ever created. But it has one feature that really stands out, considering its basic versatility with its 16-50mm reach: size! And when I ride on my bike I have the camera strap diagonally around my body, camera with lens securely at the back. For that the tiny SELP1650 really beats the SEL1655G which of course is better in every other respect. Well, apart from weight and price of course.

IMO the A6600/SELP1650 combo creates nice enough images, especially if you give it enough sunlight to let the lens stop down to f5.6.

And since we reached on that day Lauenburg, Germany, by bike, these pictures were all created with that lens.

Lauenburg is a small city in the southeast of Hamburg, directly situated at the Elbe river. Along the riverfront it has a long line of historic buildings from the 17th century and earlier, originally inhabited by sailors, and very well preserved until today.

First a look at Lauenburg across the Elbe - the line of historic buildings is easy to see. Also note the cormorants drying their wings in the foreground of the pic:

Lauenburg, Germany, seen across the Elbe river

And here a first glimpse into this street near the riverfront - the Elbstraße. The houses on the left are the ones facing the river, those on the right are in the "second row":

The Elbstraße in Lauenburg with its historic buildings

A detail shot of one of the houses on the right seen above, showing the old storage chamber on top of the house (and the mechanism for hauling things up there):

Storage chamber at the top of an historic house

More houses further along the same street:

More historic buildings in the Elbstraße, Lauenburg

A detail shot of the combination of timber and bricks that is typical for these houses:

Combination of timber and bricks seen in the houses of Lauenburg

The backside of one of those houses shows that it can be a challenge to install level floors in those historic buildings ...

Backside of an old timber and brick house in Lauenburg with some geometrical challenges ...

Here a look between the narrow gap between two of the houses, looking towards the river Elbe:

Looking towards the Elbe river

Seen from the river's side it shows that the buildings with their high positions are prepared for floods that are quite common at the Elbe:

Houses of Elbstraße seen from the riverfront

This banner between these two houses denotes the height of the water at the last serious flood back in 2013:

Banner showing how high the last serious flood reached in 2013

So there is probably a good reason why we find near the Elbstraße this bronze statue of a sailor or skipper looking towards the Elbe; he seems to warn others of possible dangers. The statue was created in 1959, and it's titled "Der Rufer", translating loosely to "The Caller":

Statue "Der Rufer" - "The Caller" - in Lauenburg

And with this final pic showing the bridge that crosses the Elbe at Lauenburg let me conclude this little travelogue:

The bridge crossing the Elbe at Lauenburg

Note how well the A6600 handled that high contrast situation; the ship on the left was more or less completely in dark shadows, but the RAW files had enough dynamic range to pull those up nicely without introducing too much noise.

All in all I'm quite satisfied with the performance of the 1650 in those situations. Corners are sharp enough even at 16mm at f5.6 IMO, especially for those A4 size prints (maximum) I use to create photo books out of travel pics.

Of course, if I'm not riding my bike, I'll probably have the SEL1655G on my A6600, giving me excellent corner sharpness even wide open at 16mm and superb shallow DOF bokeh at 55m. But I'd never sell the small SELP1650 - it just comes in so handy now and then.

Phil

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow