choosing next external storage drive

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Deb789 Regular Member • Posts: 317
choosing next external storage drive

Hello,

TBH, I use Apple products because I dislike fussing about technical details.  Photography is not my full time job; neither is technology.  I just want my computer to work reliably and simply. 

My primary computer is a 2018 macbook pro.  I currently have a very old single drive HDD NAS for primary back up and a pile of portable HDDs for secondary back up storage of my photos (and the portables are also used for Time Machine).   I do not consider Time Machine a photo back up because I think it compresses files sometimes, doesn't it?

My current process is time consuming and it is time to upgrade the components.  The ~10 year old NAS is super slow.  The portables are faster, but the entire process is not streamlined.  What is extra annoying is Finder will not work to search my current NAS when I am searching for a specific subject or photo.

I am considering a 2-bay HDD NAS RAID system, which will need to be in the basement by the router.  That would free me up to use a portable or two just for Time Machine and extra copies of favorite things.

I know SDD is MUCH more reliable.  I know I could use 2 portable SDD drives, but neither would have the 6-8 Tb capacity I will likely need to hold everything until I can retire and start cleaning up my archives.  Also, I am truly sick of plugging and unplugging and keeping track of which photos have been backed up to which drive yet.

On the other hand, what if a flood or power surge takes out all or part of the RAID unit?  And I do not think a new NAS will likely be much faster than the old one because it is on the same network.  And what are the chances Finder will work with the new NAS?

As it always does when I am making technical decisions, my head is spinning.  What have other people's experience been?  In plain terms, what makes the most sense for straight up photo storage?

Deb789's gear list:Deb789's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow