MF Macro: Pentax vs Contax 120 Macro?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
New to DSC-World Regular Member • Posts: 116
MF Macro: Pentax vs Contax 120 Macro?

Jim has recommended an adapted MF Macro lens as perhaps providing the best combo of quality and usability on the GFX 100(S) in the 1:2 to 1:1 range. He specifically mentioned the Pentax 120. I have seen both the Pentax and Contax 120 widely available for sale and reviewed online. A couple of questions

1. Lots of love out there for the Contax 120 (the phrase "jewel in the Crown of the Contax 645 system" is in pretty wide use!) Would anybody be able to comment on IQ difference between the 2 lenses (Pentax and Contax 120) in the 1:2 to 1:1 macro range? I see a couple of comments suggesting more colour fringing with Pentax. I do see the Pentax is generally available cheaper, but the difference isn't consistent or very large, c/w a GF 120.

2. I see there are the Fringer and Steel adapters pretty widely available for Contax to GFX, and these are "smart" and pretty well reviewed. For Pentax to GFX I am seeing Fotodiox and other "dumb" adapters. I just want to be able to set the aperture, not looking for AF on what is a MF lens anyway. Will Contax have an advantage in terms of usability in the available adapter department?

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Nathan

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow