Decent beginner software for D850 video processing on laptop?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Stites
Tom Stites Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: Decent beginner software for D850 video processing on laptop?

I'll second what some others have said here...on a couple levels.

Check out Resolve...the free version should do all you need to do and if you evolve to needing more, you can get into Studio for $300 and never have to look back and relearn another editor.  If you stick to basic editing/transitions/audio dubbing, you should be able to get up to speed as quickly as with any other NLE.

I've been using it for around 4 years now and last year got Studio as part of a package deal on the DaVinci Speed Editor...$300 for both, so one or the other was free! 

Without your laptop having a dedicated nVidia or AMD GPU, your performance will be sluggish if you're shooting 4K files.  If you have a more capable machine at home, I'd suggest using a program like Shutter Encoder to transcode your 4K files into 1080p or 720p for editing on your laptop and sharing via social media...maybe even 480p.  You can edit the 4K files when you get home.  Uploading 4K files while traveling can be problematic as well!

Good luck!

Tom Stites's gear list:Tom Stites's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow