Fuji provided flash is disappointing...

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Charley123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,150
Fuji provided flash is disappointing...

I mostly use flash outdoors on sunny days for portraits and group photos of 12 or fewer people.

I normally use fill flash -2 stops relative to ambient light exposure, or sometimes -1.5 stops. I occasionally use -1 stop for fill. I like to have a flash that's powerful enough to use -1 if I want to. I must have a flash that's powerful enough to use -2 fill on a group of people.

I find that for my needs, I need a flash with a guide number of 10 (at 100 ISO). More power than guide 10 is unnecessary for me. If the flash has less than guide 10 it's under powered for me.

My Canon Rebel T2i was released in 2010. It's built-in pop-up flash guide number is 13 (excellent for my needs).

My Olympus E-M10ii was released in 2015. It's built-in pop-up flash guide number is 6 (pathetic and inadequate for my needs).

Fuji X-T3 flash provided with camera is flash model EF-X8 guide number is 8 (pathetic and weak, but I could probably make it work most of the time).

Fuji X-T30 & X-T30ii built-in pop-up flash guide number is 5 (extremely pathetic and inadequate for my needs).

Fuji makes excellent cameras they can be proud of, and owners can be proud of; except for the flash that Fuji provides. Fuji should be embarrassed by the very weak flash they provide. My 13 years old Canon Rebel T2i pop-up flash is vastly superior to what Fuji X-T30 or X-T3 provides.

I was considering getting an X-E30ii partly because I wanted a built-in pop-up flash, but now I realize its built-in pop-up flash is very weak, even for a pop-up flash. It's almost useless to me. So I decided to get an X-T3, but its EF-X8 flash isn't much better.

All cameras need a flash with guide 10 at 100 ISO as the barest minimum standard, but a much better goal for camera makers would be guide 15 at 100 ISO as a minimum standard for pop-up flash, and for a provided-in-box, small, detachable flash the minimum standard should be guide 20 at 100 ISO.

Come on Fuji. You can do better with regard to the flash you provide. Canon Rebel T2i was already doing better back in 2010.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow