Probably the best in its class

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,353
Re: Probably the best in its class

I would find your review of the Fujinon 16-80mm f4 more credible if Optical limits had given it at least three stars instead of two for optical quality. I was really looking forward to the release of this lens and had intended to replace my Fujinon XC 16-50mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 and XF 18-55 with it, but then I read the bad reviews and was put off to purchasing it. I suspect it would not produce better image quality than my Fujinon XC 16-50mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 in it's common range and may actually be worse at the edges at 16mm. I could live with that if the 16-80 was sharp at 80mm, but that is its weakest focal length, unfortunately. (This surprised me because my XC 50-230mm is amazingly sharp at 230mm.)So not much to gain over my current Fujinon XC 16-50mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 in terms of useable focal length or aperture.
In my opinion Fujifilm would have been wiser to produce an 18-80 f2.8-4 which was sharp across the frame at all focal lengths. I think that extra 2mm at the wide end killed the 80mm focal length design, unfortunately. So I'm in a dilemma now with my next lens purchase. I may just wait for Sigma or Tamron to offer something better in terms of a similar FL range zoom and pick up the Fujinon 10-24mm in the mean time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow