Canon R5 EVF

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Engles Contributing Member • Posts: 910
Canon R5 EVF

No doubt that the Canon R5 is a technological wonder, but......

The EVF in my very limited experience (3 days) is quite dreadful.

On a day of subdued light, the EVF is OKish, but today was a beautiful sunny day with a wonderful blue sky. Did I see that in the EVF? Sadly no. The image in the EVF and on the screen was washed out and lifeless, even with exposure adjusted to be correct in the histogram. I fiddled about with the Screen/EVF calibration as well as pictures styles, a little improvement but not much.

My old 5D3 in live view was pretty fine, but as far as I can see that is not the case with the R5.. I am almost at the point of not bothering to take the picture as, what I see bears almost no comparison with the reality, or dare I say it what I could see through the 5D3 OVF. The pictures look fine in Lightroom, but the actual experience of taking them is really unsatisfactory. The EVF really does need some comprehensive colour controls, so that a decent OVF simulation can be obtained. I nearly bought a 5D4, but went for the R5, sadly I am pretty well at the point of regretting it.

I mainly do macro, and very used to how I see pictures in the viewfinder.

I would be happy to look at improvement suggestions from the more R5 experienced

All the best

MDE

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow