Probably the best in its class

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ChicagoSam New Member • Posts: 16
Probably the best in its class

I also own the Nikon 16-80 as well as the venerable Zeiss/Sony 16-80 with its screw drive and I believe that this lens is slightly better than either of them, though not as fast as the Nikon at the wide end. The improved image quality may be because it's mirrorless and the other two aren't, because the most noticeable difference is at the edges, where mirrorless cameras have the advantage of a short flange distance and therefore less blur and chromatic distortion. It's a beautiful lens, very nicely made with a very smooth zoom operation, and I had the further benefit of a sudden mid-summer sale where the price was briefly $200 less than usual. All in all I'm very happy and now I have to get a better Fujifilm camera to go with it, though it does a fine job with my x-t100. It's actually larger and heavier than the camera.

I basically take travel photos and need to have a range of focal lengths available for whatever I come across without fumbling with lenses (or I'll miss it) and this zoom range is perfect for me while making the least possible optical compromises.

ChicagoSam's gear list:ChicagoSam's gear list
Sony a77 II Nikon D7500 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR
Zoom lens • Fujifilm X
Announced: Jul 18, 2019
ChicagoSam's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow