New Body for Zeiss Otus lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
namelesshalls New Member • Posts: 1
New Body for Zeiss Otus lenses

Hey guys, long time lurker but new member. I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the zeiss otus line after a long time looking at sample images, and shooting with a bunch of different gear. I'm going to start with the 28mm lens since I have lenses in the 50+ range already but nothing wide. I mainly shoot faces and fashion, and enjoy street photography for fun. I rarely, if ever, do studio work, I'm more into capturing a fleeting moment.

I currently have a Nikon D810 I picked up used after switching from 35mm to digital with some cheap D lenses and a 70-200 2.8 S lens. I'm very familiar with Sony bodies and color science, and love using my friends a7R4 and GM lenses he has when I shoot stuff for him. I did a shoot with his R4 and 24mm f/1.4 and really enjoy shooting fashion and portraits wide, I think it's really a nice way to use the model as an accessory to the scene vs the subject. However wide open the GM lenses really lack and have tons of CA which is fine for social media, but my goal is large print and I'm the definition of a pixel peeper so things like that really bother me especially when the lens is already in the pricey range. It seems like the sensor out resolves the lens. I'd rather have one amazing lens and build my collection than a few lenses that will drive me crazy.

Anyway, when comparing sample images I see online, it looks like the Otus really shines on DSLR bodies and some of the "3d effect" is lost on mirrorless bodies, which is the main reason I like the otus line so much. I know in theory that doesn't make sense, and definitely could be the skill of the photographer producing those sample images, but something just feels missing in the mirrorless + otus combo that I see. I would use my d810 but shooting fashion and people, eye focus is very important and the lack of an EVF with focus peaking would make it difficult to nail focus with movement. I'm pretty good with MF coming from film, but I'd hate to lose a shot due to missing focus by even a little bit.

My main reason for wanting the r4 for myself is the 1.5x crop factor in body and the ridiculous resolution it has. Even though you can do the same crop in post its nice to see it already done in the viewfinder for composition and such.

So long story short, I'm between sticking with the D810 and hoping I nail focus, the A7R4, or the Nikon Z7ii. It seems like the nikon z vs r battle is just a color renditioning and resolution thing more so than features since they're about the same thing features wise. I'm not a canon guy in the slightest, so canon is out of the question. Please don't recommend other lenses instead of the Otus, I know other lenses are 90%+ there, but the Otus just has a special look that really intrigues me.

my portfolio in case anyone is interested. Some film, most d810 with D glass, and one shoot with the Sony r4.

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow