Review: Barska Blackhawk 10x40 Monocular

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Alan WF
Alan WF Veteran Member • Posts: 3,215
Review: Barska Blackhawk 10x40 Monocular

At the end of last year, I commented here that I was thinking of getting a monocular to complement my camera while birding, and that I’d get back with my thoughts. Well, I’ve published a review on my website:

Review: Barska Blackhawk 10×40 Monocular

My summary is:

I do find the monocular useful and enjoyable to use when birding. I think I’m getting good value for $56.

The image quality is acceptable for my needs. In the center of the field, I see good detail, contrast, and color, but further out there are obvious optical problems. Fortunately, birds are typically small, and I can easily observe them in the center.

There are times when I want more magnification (which is why spotting scopes exist), but its contribution to my experience is definitely worth its weight, size, and low cost. I’m happy that it appears to be very robust. It’s a useful complement to my camera and long lens.

Regards,

Alan

Alan WF's gear list:Alan WF's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +13 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow