Best point-and-shoot camera for motorbike racing

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,300
Re: Best point-and-shoot camera for motorbike racing

Mike200927 wrote:

Just one question about the zoom. As you know I'm not a pro so I just want photo's to hang in my house. When I use a lens with less zoom (more multifunctional) I would have pictures with a wider angle, so the motorbike will be "smaller". However when the resolution is good it will be no problem to crop the pictures at home, have them printed on A4 and still have a great result? Or am I missing something here?

The linear subject size is directly proportional to focal length, but the area covered by the subject is 1/focal length ratio squared.

So if you shoot at 100mm instead of 300mm, the motorbike will be 1/3 as large in each direction, covering 1/9 of the pixels. That is, if you can fill the 18Mp frame with your subject with a 300mm lens, with the 100mm, you only have 2Mp for the same framing, plus 16Mp you have no use for.

The loss of Mp means a loss of resolution and you'll also see all errors like noise, motion blur, focus errors, and (lack of) lens sharpness enlarged.

To make a good A4 print, 8-10Mp is usually considered enough, so a slight crop may not be a problem if you have a sharp lens, excellent technique, plenty of light, and superb AF. Most of us prefer to have a little headroom for cropping, especially with fast moving subjects, where exact framing is difficult in the heat of the moment.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow