Manual third party L mount lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
reinhard becker Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Manual third party L mount lenses

Tom Schum wrote:

reinhard becker wrote:

I use the TTArtisan 2.8/11 Fisheye in L-Mount and the half manual Samyang XP 3.5/10 with the Sigma MC21. The Samyang offers no AF, but electronic aperture and Exif data.

For me lenses without AF are usable for ultra wide angle and macro shots. Especially for uwa there are a lot of choices to go below 14mm.

with longer lenses I want to use AF , especially with these extreme big apertures some lenses offer.

I'm not interested (yet) in UWA lenses, but I had good results from my Samyang 12mm F2.0 X-mount lens on my Fuji X cameras.

I had a few lenses that I could have used with a MC21 adapter but because of their size and weight I decided to get rid of them.

With the longer manual lenses I typically focus at the shooting aperture. With focus peaking on, I see peaking on parts of the image that will be acceptably sharp, and this is dependent on aperture setting. It makes manual focus much easier for me if I do it this way.

With a wide angle lens this technique would likely not work as well. Most of the image would seem to be in focus at all times.

Intersting point! I never use focus peaking for two reasons:

With longer lenses used wide open the focus peaking was never good enough for me, i.e. bringing an eye in perfect focus with aperture 1.4 or even better. In all cameras I tested this FP was not able to give me correct information to get a perfect sharp eye (talking about a half size portrait)

with uwa there is most of the time everything in focus. So I use high magnification on the display on selected parts of the scene . Working from tripod for architecture it works fine without any problems.

The Samyang 10mm I use wih the MC21 is a tank, but also the 10mm on FF are very special. I was not able to test the (very small) Laowa 9mm or 11mm, would be nice to compare them against the Samyang. These are newer designs and especially made for mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Reinhard
Olympus E-M5II, E-M1II, Olympus lenses from 7 to 300mm
Panasonic S1R, Sigma L-mount lenses (14-24, 24-70, 50, 85, 135, 150-600)

reinhard becker's gear list:reinhard becker's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow