"Self focusing" GFX 100S?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 2,420
"Self focusing" GFX 100S?

Curious behavior of my GFX 100S. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this . . .

My GFX 100S focuses all by itself with my AF lenses (110/2, 45/2.8). It self focuses.

Everything works normally when I "auto focus." That is, the camera very rapidly acquires focus at the place in the scene where the focus box is placed when I push the AF-ON button, lighting up the focusing square in green.

But if I then aim somewhere else, it very slowly then acquires that focus without any press of AF-ON. If the second target is spatially close to the first, the process Is quick. Not AF rapid, but quick. If the two points are spatially far apart, the process takes much longer but the camera eventually snaps onto the second target. The focus square doesn't light up in green, but the camera is definitely locked on.

The process happens much faster the higher the contrast present in the the target. With a very high contrast subject, such as aiming at the corner of a sunlit window from inside the house (including light from outside plus the dark inside wall), it's just about as fast as AF.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Have I turned on a setting I'm not aware of?

Rich

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow