A Selection from the Wilderness

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,237
A Selection from the Wilderness

Located between Cuba and Abiquiú, NM, the Nacimiento Mountains are the wettest place in New Mexico, and are home to the San Pedro Parks Wilderness Area within the Santa Fe National Forest, as well as a section of the Continental Divide Trail which runs 3,100 miles from from Canada to Mexico.

This isn’t a peaky wilderness, but rather it has broad, flat parks around 10,500 feet. Receiving as much as 35 inches of rain every year, water pools in these parks before slowly draining into the Rio Grande watershed, creating wetlands that allow for incredible biodiversity and abundance in an island surrounded by desert.

Mushrooms were EVERYWHERE. I've never seen so many before. Other parts of the Santa Fe National Forest are much hotter and drier and don't get nearly as much decomposition activity. Kinda makes me wish I knew anything about mushroom foraging beyond "don't."

Myself and my partner spent three days in the wilderness and covered about 20 miles.

Because of the high risk of dampness I brought the weather sealed E-M1 mk 1 with 12-40 f/2.8 and also the ultralight 40-150 f/4.0-5.6. On the third day of hiking when it was constantly raining the 12-40 did fog up, but everything still works perfectly.

These perfect, beautiful Amanitas 🍄 were a very common sight.

About six miles into the wilderness when we were looking for a campsite, we saw three owls in a well-canopied wooded area. One was an adult, two weren't fully fledged. My mom already shared these pics with a local birding group, where they were identified as rarely-sighted Long-Eared Owls, and I was contacted by a Forest Service biologist wanting to know more about where they were found 👀

Pretty sure these are Psilocybin mushrooms.

My partner thought this mushroom, what looks to be a decomposing King Bolete on the side of the creek, looked like one of the forest spirits from Princess Mononoke

Early morning light + foggy lens

After seeing this I just had to get some oyster mushrooms when I got home

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow