Birds and macro - help me choose a nikon camera

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
afb-md New Member • Posts: 2
Birds and macro - help me choose a nikon camera

Hi. I'm new to this forum so thanks to everyone in advance. I've been checking many posts here and many of the reviews and they are super cool.

I'm an amateur photographer (still learning all the technical terms but I've been doing my homework and been taking pictures for over a year now, but only now I'm diving deep into the technical stuff) and I'm planning to upgrade my camera and keep my current lens: Nikon D5300 + Tamron sp 150-600 G2.

I mainly focus on wildlife and especially birds, but I also wish to get into macro (insects mostly) soon, although this is not a priority for now (nor have I a proper lens, flash, etc for it). I mostly catch birds while feeding or in bushes although, of course, I try as much as possible to capture them mid-flight. Despite living in Colombia, the places I frequent are mostly in cloudy areas and usually only in the evening or afternoon, due to time issues. Also, I like using a K&F CPL filter a lot. So light is an issue I have to deal with very often.

In sum, I want a camera that can still be used with my current lens, can deal with relatively low-light conditions better than my D5300, and is also capable of taking more pics per burst. Eventually, I'd also like to get into macro but I know close to nothing about it so I also need your advice to take this into account.

I've been doing my research and the options I've been considering are:

1) Nikon D780

2) Nikon D850

3) Nikon D5

Right off the bat, the D5 is way too expensive. I'd have to save up for a couple of years to afford it and I really want to upgrade so this option is almost certainly not viable for me right now.

Between the D850 and D780, which one would you guys choose? My main concerns here are:

A) It seems to me that the D780 can take more pics in a burst than the D850

B) I don't know if the lack of a low-pass filter in the D850 could cause moiré on my bird pictures, especially when dealing with small hummingbirds or birds with intricate feather patterns.

PS: I almost forgot: any tips on how to capture bats in flight?? any forum threads/guides you can recommend on this?

Follow my IG account: @zwexpeditions

afb-md's gear list:afb-md's gear list
Nikon D5300 GoPro Hero7 Black Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +1 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D5300 Nikon D780 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow