FTZ with VR lens Issue

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vockman Contributing Member • Posts: 653
FTZ with VR lens Issue

I had long suspected that using the Z6 with FTZ with my 70-200F4G was putting some kind of strain on the VR system. I had to repair it after a year of using it on the Z6 when it had just been fixed after 5 years on a D750.

This year I have been using the lens only on the Z6 and I started noticing that when I remove the FTZ with the 70-200F4 attached from the Z6 that the VR remains unlocked and you can see the VR element bouncing around if you shake the lens or even if cleaning the rear glass. I though this meant meant my VR was starting to break down again, even though it works fine when shooting. But I never noticed the VR element bouncing around before and was pretty sure that it never used to.

Today, after confirming that the VR was unlocked and bouncing around, I put my 70-200F4 on my D750 and took a couple of shots and removed it (without turning the camera off as I typically do when changing lenses) and the VR element is now locked into place, as it should be when the lens is detached.

What's up with that? Is there a correct way to remove a VRG lens from the Z6/FTZ in a way that locks the VR mechanism?

My guess now is that I probably had to repair the VR not because the FTZ was wearing it out but because I was transporting it with the VR unlocked and it probably got bumped or knocked around. Any thoughts on this issue?

Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow