Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,901
Re: Tamron 18-300 for E-mount

Dick Barbour wrote:

MarioV wrote:

theworstphotographerontheinternet wrote:

geopapa wrote:

theworstphotographerontheinternet wrote:

I'm sure I can't be the only one who's excited about the announcement of this lens - if the performance is good enough (and there's no reason to doubt that it will be very good, given Tamron's recent offerings), then I can imagine this replacing my beloved Sony 18-135, which is something I never thought I'd say!

It could actually replace 2 popular sony lenses. 18-135 and 70-350.. Obviously it won't be as sharp at that price but maybe sharp enough to make the compromise. We'll have to wait for the reviews

You're absolutely right. I've considered the 70-350 a number of times, but I've always held off because I wanted it be a bit wider at the short end. This lens would solve that, without sacrificing too much on the tele side of things. Not to mention it's cheaper, and weather sealed. Honestly, the optics would have to be pretty poor to convince me not to go for this one over either/both of the Sony lenses.

Agreed. Also, a more user-friendly minimum focus distance with the 18-300.

Yes, my only complaint about the 70-350 is min. focusing. Otherwise it's the perfect lens for me, along with the 16-55, of course. If I got the 18-300 I would be back in the same old dilemma as when I had the RX10iv: do I take the do-it-all or the separate lenses with (somewhat) better optics? And I hate changing lenses in the field!

Dick

I hear you, Dick. Loud and clear.  I'm not sure if the 18-300 will be the answer. Jury is still out.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow