Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
iljitsch Senior Member • Posts: 1,094
Re: Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

I think Nikon is playing the long game with Z. It makes some sense to not want to open the third party lens flood gates while they don't have their own set of lenses in reasonable order.

However, slow going with Z while they're not doing all that much with F anymore may create some problems.

Not sure what the gating factor is for new lens releases: design or manufacture? Currently manufacturing is very likely a significant bottleneck, so if design isn't, we could see a flurry of new lenses when the chip shortages get better, hopefully next year.

And like I said, they really only need something like a 10-20 mm DX and a 16-~140 mm DX and perhaps a few more FX with DX appeal such as the 28 f/2.8 and 40 f/2.

I'm 99.99% sure that DX : FX on Z is nowhere near 25 : 1. The reason there are so many DX DSLRs is because the 3x00 and 5x00 are cheap. The Z50 and Z fc are a good deal more expensive and haven't been around very long. Also, probably mostly people who are more serious about photography who've moved to Z so far, so more likely FX users. That, and the camera market contraction, probably mean the Z DX lineup will never be very extensive.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow