D780 Live view bit depth

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RuaanGrobler New Member • Posts: 4
D780 Live view bit depth

Hi Forum

Long time reader, first-time poster I'm poised to get back to Nikon (I've owned several) and I'm flip-flopping between the D850 and D780.

This will primarily serve as a stills camera, but I often shoot in live view due to wearing glasses and hating the smudges from eyecups.
I have a quick question relating to the D780 RAW bit-depth in live view. I believe it shoots 12-bit raw files at 12 fps (silent shutter and live view). Is this optional though? Can I set it to shoot 14-bit raw at the usual (I think) 7 fps with a silent shutter in live view? I don't need the speed and would prefer quality.
I've googled my butt off (really, it's completely gone) but can't find a clear answer to this question - though it seems it is able to but this is conjecture based on grammatic tone. I'd like to make sure before I pull the trigger on a purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS. While I'm here - I'm assuming the shutter and live view are separate options. Meaning I can use silent shutter in both OVF and Live view, and use mechanical in both too? I'm coming from a Fuji XT-3 and would rather ask than be disappointed. If anyone else has made a similar jump, please let me know if you felt something was missing. I love my XT-3's usability but the FF Nikon images are simply superior.

Humblest thanks in advance.

RuaanGrobler's gear list:RuaanGrobler's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D780 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow