Traveling with only a phone camera Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Redhenry Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: Traveling with only a phone camera

timoteotresgatos wrote:

I can't put up with the weight and longer when traveling by foot. I walked all over Rome and other Italian cities with my D7000, a 4" long 24-70 eq. zoom, and camera bag over my shoulder from breakfast until we got back to the hotel after dinner every day for two weeks. I ended up with a stripe across my back from the camera bag and the imbalance of weight of camera and carry-ons caused caused me to slide down and escalator on my back. Never again.

It seems like the vast majority of responses have been, "get a compact camera and re-think the phone only idea".

My phone is a new and takes good pictures so far, can so raw+jpg, and does really good HDR for when I'm shooting in harsh light. I guess I can use a compact camera for travel and use the phone as backup or for special situations when it's needed. I guess the simplicity of a pocketable camera that weighs ounces appeals to me.

With respect to the various responders here, I think the people who said that phone pictures are OK for snaps but nothing else might not be quite up to date. There’s a landscape picture from Robert J 498 of Lake Michigan on the iOS forum taken on an iPhone 11Pro and it’s great. Yes, I know it won’t compare with a billion megapixel full-frame Nikon). The reviews of the new iPhone 13 Pro are very positive. I’ve banged on about it here and there in these forums but Ken Rockwell’s review of the iPhone 12 Pro Max is quite an eye-opener. I have just sold my recently acquired Panasonic FZ300 to MPB - it’s a good camera but, frankly, requires too much work and thought to get decent results. I will be ordering an iPhone 13 Pro next week, so will definitely be using just that for any future holidays.

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
mxx
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow