Fuji Colour Science question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
New to DSC-World Regular Member • Posts: 119
Fuji Colour Science question

I understand that a lot of people "graduate" to the GFX cameras from the X-series as an extension of an (understandable) long-term love affair with Fuji. I just don't happen to be that guy, as I came to the GFX 100S as the best/most affordable way I could see to replicate the kind of contemplative approach to photography and the IQ and detail that I had always enjoyed with LF. Fuji colour science seemed like a bonus. I had literally never held a Fuji camera in my hand before I got the GFX 100S, though I have loved their LF lenses for years, and shot plenty of their sheet film.

I'm starting to develop a workflow to shoot large pans with the GFX 100S, and have been reading about the film simulations. I can already see that they often give an OOC colour feel that I really enjoy, but at the expense of the full DR I can get myself from manipulating a raw image. What I am (naively) trying to understand is whether I can have my cake and eat it too. Is there any kind of workflow that might allow me to make some basic changes to a raw image, let's just say, by bringing up shadow detail (something I can already appreciate that this camera excels at), and then have Fuji take the manipulated raw image and turn into into a Velvia jpeg? I am totally ready to hear that this is like trying to make pigs fly! (But just thought I'd ask...)

A related question: When I decide that I want a different film sim, I have just been taking the raw image back to the camera and doing it there (I know I can also bracket film sims, and will probably do more of this too over time). I have understood that many software programs (including the ones I tend to use at present: PS, ACR, DXO) lack the Fuji "secret sauce" for conversion to a film sim. Even if they say they are giving you Nostalgic Neg or Velvia, it's not the real thing you would get OOC. Are there any programs (Capture One Fuji? Fuji's own processing software?) which will give you the genuine film sim experience as you would get in camera, but with an easier workflow (say for re-processing  a large batch of images for a pan if you were too stupid to specify the right film sim to begin with? Just as a random example, not like this would ever happen...) And how generally do folks who are combining these other programs with PS or ACR handle the flow?

I am happy to make some changes in my workflow to get the best out of the new camera and to bring myself into alignment with Fuji World, though I have a few decades of experience invested in PS and ACR, and some facility with DXO PL.  I recognise I could ask this question on a Fuji board, but I find this group generally more knowledgeable and biased towards the kind of results I'm interested in getting, with a big focus on maximising the IQ benefits of a MF sensor.

Thanks very much for any advice!

Best regards,

Nathan

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow