Focusing the Z6 in dark conditions

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Atahualpa Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Focusing the Z6 in dark conditions

Quite strange, I just tried my Z6 in a room without windows where I could control the brightness by opening or closing the only door. I tested some focusing and I all I found was inconsistent behavior that I can't explain.

So, please try and tell me what you get: Z6 + 24-70 f/4 and set it to AF-S, low-light AF enabled (a11), ISO 100, F4 (I think I used 24mm, no idea if that matters as well) and have the AF assist light on (a12), of course also apply settings to live view (d8) is on. All experiments hand-held.

Try to vary the shutter speeds (intentionally making it way too dark) or making it brighter, but choose a shutter speed that is too fast to make it appear darker. Aim at different places and try to focus. Then vary also the light in the room and try again.

Sometimes, especially at 1/60s the camera would not engage the AF assist light. It would do so at 1/15s more often, sometimes at 1/30s, but sometimes not. All the while the brightness was exactly the same. Sometimes it would use low-light AF instead of the AF assist light. Sometimes it would use neither (especially at 1/60s) and just not obtain any focus (if dark enough). I really couldn't determine any logic from this behavior.

I really don't want to give up d8, but I probably should create a custom setting for low-light with this turned off.

Atahualpa's gear list:Atahualpa's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +1 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow