The road to China Peak

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 784
The road to China Peak

Waking this morning, and really wanted to get off by myself away from town, away from people and the clutter and noise of civilization. Easy to do here. To the east, the Dragoon Mountains suddenly rise straight up out of the high desert floor. Straight up, where Cochise and Geronimo lived, high in the sky islands with their own unique ecology. Straight up China Peak, to my favorite place, an old mining camp next to a sweet water brook making little pools among the boulders.

Problem was getting there. Our recent summer monsoon rains turned normally mild dirt Middlemarch Road into a very rough drive, and then, past Bachman Springs, the road to China Peak just became impassable about halfway up. If I had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon or the new Ford Bronco Sasquatch... maybe. But my little Ford Transit Connect van has its limits, so I gave up and came back down. No great loss, the view from up there was clouded by morning mist from the land still drying out below.

The Coronado National forest has campgrounds at the very bottom of the sheer Dragoon cliffs. A favorite old water tank still there, best place on a hot day to turn the tap and take a shower. It is filled by a fine old windmill, maybe the only one left that hasn't gone to solar.

Took my 16-45 f/4 this morning. Seems like a natural for landscapes... I never felt any need for more telephoto. A good old lens...

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow