Some New Support...

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,013
Some New Support...

This is a quick commentary on why I replaced my Leki Combination hiking stick, monopod, & cane.

Out With The Old: On the right is my old Leki combination hiking stick, monopod, and cane. The perfect photographer's accessory for those of us rapidly becoming old as dirt. The Leki is probably at least three, possibly four years old now. Old enough that Leki doesn't make it or the replacement that followed anymore. It has flip locks on the legs, just like the new monopod on the left, but much smaller. In the photo, the lower section is fully retracted, making the Leki perfect cane size. Screw off the wooden ball and there is a ¼-25 tripod screw to mount just about any camera. However, the leg sections are slipping unexpectedly and the flip locks can't be tightend any further. So it's time for a replacement.

In With The New: On the left is my new Avella C325 Carbon-Fiber 58-inch Monopod with an old Giottos MH5310 compact Arca-Swiss ball head I found hiding in my spare parts box, and I'm sure everybody in this group has one of those boxes. The top-plate has a reversing ¼-20 & ⅜-16 tripod mounting screw. There is the option of a ⅜-16 screw-in rubber foot or al ⅜-16 screw-in steel spike, both included. The steel spike will be good for snow, ice, rough ground, or to ward off wood-be attackers. Avella may sound Spanish or Italian but sadly just like everything else today, especially from Amazon, it was made in China. I was going to reuse the Leki's wooden ball for a handle but it required a longer ¼-20 screw than the monopod has. At $55 USD with free Amazon Prime shipping plus state sales tax, I wasn't expecting much but once out of the box, I was truly surprised at the build-quality; every bit as good as my Manfrotto 190 Pro Carbon-Fiber Tripod. To round things out, the kit includes a canvas shoulder back, the tools needed to tighten the top-plate set screw and adjust the flip-lock tension, a small users guide in English and I assume Chinese, plus a warranty card that says the monopod is guaranteed for life.

A perfect match with my X100S and its Arca-Swiss base-plate.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
“If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough”
? Robert Cappa ?

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
bs1946's score
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow