Why are some of my RAW files pixelated in certain areas?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mdmarqphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,190
Re: Why are some of my RAW files pixelated in certain areas?

pannumon wrote:

It's probably one of the following:

1. You are viewing the image at higher than 100% view (pixel-to-pixel).*

That's what it looks like to me.  Any image will look like this if you zoom in high enough.

1. You are viewing the preview image that is embedded to the raw image, not the actual raw image.**
  2. You are using digital zoom or similar. With my Panasonics this is not even possible while shooting raw, I am not sure about Canon.

*In some cases when you look at magnification higher than 100% the images is smoothened so that you cannot see the pixels. If you want to pixel-peep, you probably want to see the pixels (in 200% view 1 pixel in the photo is displayed as 2x2 = 4 pixels).

**While operating systems and applications may seem to be able to handle raw images on they own, they don't. You need a separate program to do that. The image shown by operating systems and basic applications is a preview of the image. Typically this image has much lower resolution than even the normal JPEG/raw image.

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow