Replace aging MBP with iPad Pro for Travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
acnomad
OP acnomad Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: Replace aging MBP with iPad Pro for Travel?

graybalanced wrote:

The problem with the current iPad Pro is the pricing vs value. If you don’t want to wrangle external drives with an iPad on a trip, then you must buy an iPad with enough storage for all the photos you want to store during the trip. This will usually mean buying at least the 256GB 11” Pro at $899. If you think you will miss a real keyboard, you add that cost and now you are beyond $1000 and you have not even bought an Apple Pencil yet, which is useful for some kinds of photo editing.

If you do add a keyboard and Apple Pencil, now the combined weight is not really less than a MacBook Air, but is much more awkward to carry because you juggle three loose components, and almost as thick as the Air. Yet the complete and easy to carry 256GB Air is just $999.

Beyond that, there is the ongoing issue of software. You pay as much for a decent iPad Pro kit as for a Mac, but on iOS Lightroom is not as good, Photoshop is REALLY not as good, files are more difficult to work with, it really makes you wonder about the value.

I do have an older iPad Pro that I use constantly, often alongside my Mac, and I have what I need to make the iPad Pro a travel photo machine, but if a trip is longer than a long weekend I take the Mac because everything is just going to work better. Apple’s failure to close the productivity gap between iOS and Mac OS is why I decided the new and more expensive iPad Pros would not bring any meaningful improvements over how my current older iPad Pro performs, and my little MacBook Pro ends up looking like the real winner.

All great points.

acnomad's gear list:acnomad's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow