HDR often not necessary?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,041
Re: HDR often not necessary?

I too am a regular user of HDR to overcome potential exposure problems when the scene has a wide range of illumination. Indeed I can access +/- 2 stops bracketing with a dedicated button on my camera. With proper processing the resultant images still look natural. Why take editing of a difficult scene to extremes when the camera itself can do a better job of capturing tones?

Obviously when the scene is dark, one needs a tripod, but in decent light I find that handheld shots still give excellent results. Using Affinity Photo HDR, motion blur can be pretty well eliminated provided the shutter speed is, say, at least 1/30 second for one of the contributory shots.

As for ‘camera wear’ caused by taking many HDR shots, as mentioned earlier, the issue pales to insignificance compared to the number of shots that a sports photographer will blast off at just one event.

Michael W00d's gear list:Michael W00d's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow