High Contrast Lunar image

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,866
High Contrast Lunar image

I find the moon an easy subject for photography but sometimes challenging with respect to post processing, especially when it's full or near to its full phase with little shadow relief to reveal the various features.

If I process the image to resemble the tones and contrast I perceive with my eye to the telescope eyepiece the result is usually fairly bright and bland. Changing the contrast and stretching the tone curve can however give much more interesting images but they don't resemble a 'true to life' Moon and others who look at the image will likely comment that "it doesn't really look like that"

One night last week I was photographing Jupiter and Saturn until late, capturing hundreds of frames for later stacking. At the end of that session I turned my scope to the nearby moon.

I was using 2,980mm focal length with a 4/3 sensor which, while OK for the planets, gave me just about 1/3 coverage of the lunar disk, so to capture the full disk I needed to do some image stitching.

> The atmospheric seeing was 'fair'
> The Lunar phase was 97.3% which gave me some interesting shadow relief around part of the rim.
> I used an E-M1 Mark III with a 1490mm f/5.8 telescope plus an Olympus EC-20 teleconverter for 2,980mm f/11.6

> Total of 9 raw frames (electronic shutter with remote control using Olympus Capture) at 1/250sec with ISO400 stitched and PP using Lightroom 6.14

here is one result - a rather unnatural looking Moon processed for emphasis of surface impact features.

Peter

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow